Saturday, August 27, 2011

Paper, Rock and a Mother of a Thousand




Fascination: plants growing out of cracks in rocks. When I'm hiking and see this phenomena, it makes me wonder how long (years, decades?) it took for that to happen, and it makes me consider how all of those necessary elements-dirt, water, sun, had to be present. What timing!
So, I've been making some paper 'rocks' of my own. I pigmented the pulp, strained it, and formed it into the shapes, sort of similar to pinch pots. After they dried a bit, I put a little soil in the faults, then planted a Mother of a Thousand seed.

I'm curious to see what will happen to the paper rocks as the plants grow. Will they crack? Will they decompose? Or will the plant just only get so big....I'm thinking that is what will happen.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Photos by Franc Rosario

1 comment:

  1. Mother of a Thousand - Is that the plant with baby plants growing from between the scallops on the leaves?

    I love the experiment! Do keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete