Saturday, May 15, 2010

Papel de Bling

Thoughts of adorning one's body with paper has wondered back into my head. Although I put the idea down for a while, it makes sense that it has come back to me because I love the idea of combining paper with body ornamentation/modification. There is something playful and low-pressure when I start working in paper, maybe because it is easily accessible and low tech. Furthermore, there is something really fascinating to me regarding the ephemerality of it-how when paper is placed on the body, it changes when the body sweats, it becomes embedded with smells, and it stretches and tears.
above: Marcus Tomlinson, Stills from the film „Pen to Paper“, UK 2003. ©Marcus Tomlinson












above: Michael Cepress, Collars for the Modern Gentleman, USA 2006, commissioned by ATOPOS, created using the “Yellow Pages”. Photo: Michelle Moore ©ATOPOS collection, Athens


So for the next couple of months, I'm going to dive more into researching and making paper jewelry. Last night, I made this paper ring, inspired by a pattern I found online by Sarah Kate Burgess. I have to say, although it is not very practical, I love it.





2 comments: